Thursday, June 16, 2005

How the West (and the Record) Was Won

I just finished my 9:00 shift, and also Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Now we've started How the West Was Won, by Louis L'Amour.

Later this summer, when HP and the Half-Blood Prince is released, two of our libraries are having HP release parties at midnight. We are having characters as part of the fun. I was completely honored to be asked to play Hermione. Anyone who knew me in high school or college pretty much knows that asking me to play Hermione is pretty much type-casting. The similarities are both in personality, as well as a certain bushiness of hairdo. I do think I have better teeth, but Hermione would no doubt have researched a Teeth-Straightening Spell. (Dentus Alignus?)

I love Hermione. Women Who Know Stuff Rock.

(Marcie gets to play Hermione at her library, the Gibson library, as well. We have had some Hermione-bonding this week.)

So, in a very Hermione-like gesture, I started re-reading the books about a month ago, in order to do research into her character. (I mean, really, aren't I perfect for the part?) I only made it through HP1 and HP2 so far, but reading the snatches of these books has really whetted my appitite to read 3, 4, and 5 when we get out of here.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post. My 5.5 hours of sleep didnt' last very long, and I play to take a nap just as soon as I get finished doing Virtual Reference at 10:00.

In other news, we have also officially entered our 4th day here, as of 9:00. GO US!

5 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Justin said...

"...a nap just as soon as I get finished doing Virtual Reference at 10:00."


You're a part of the Read-Aloud and still doing other library tasks??

Wow!


Justin
http://www.kenton.lib.ky.us/

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Justin,

I am a Gemini, so multi-tasking is in my blood. : )

Too bad I couldn't really have a twin that could sneak in and substitute so that I could go home, shower, and sleep!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Dani said...

This is so exciting!

I can't believe it's already Thursday morning--just hours to go to surpass the big 8-0, then on to 1-0-0!

You all make it look so easy, too.
See you this evening for the HDPL celebration.

Dani@UNLV

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Susan Williams said...

Joan and Bryan and the rest are incredible! I can't believe they're staffing the Virtual Reference Desk through all this! I suggested they could do that, the first day, but I was only joking. I'm totally in awe of their studly efforts!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous *Courtney* said...

those western books sound way boring. i hope they're not as bad as i think they are.

:-)*courtney*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home