Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The View from 3:00 a.m.

Oy. I have just awakened to back up Marcie before I read at 4:30 a.m. I went to bed at 10:00 or so with all good intentions of going to sleep, but our...bug issues...make it necessary for us to keep more lights on than last night. It took me until around 11:00 to go to sleep. Ach.

I see that Marcie will probably finish book 4. It's so surreal to go to sleep, wondering where in the story we'll be when we wake up. It's also bizarre to see who'll be here when we wake up. When I fell asleep, Kristy and The Rebeccas were here. (It seems like there was someone else, but I can't remember...please forgive the sleep deprived if I have forgotten you!)

Now that I am awake, Angela and Reva are here, and Therese and Brett arrived shortly after I actually got up. So, a whole different set of folks...

Bryan, who just finished reading, told me he nearly fell asleep while his turn was going on, and "didn't even have the energy to do any accents." Ah, poor thing! : )

So, Diet Dr. Pepper in hand, I will occupy myself for the next while, until 4:30, when I'm "on." By the time I finish reading at 6:00...the rest of the normal world will be awakening, and so the chance for sleep is slim...

*Question: The following conditions are true, even when I am in the comfort of my own home. Why am I able to take a nap in the middle of the day, lights blazing (or sunlight streaming into the room, as it were)...but when it's dark, and the lights are still on, it takes me FOREVER to get to sleep? Psychological, more than anything else? My brain is telling me that according to the clock it should be dark?

It seems like there was this study sometime that if you locked someone in an area that had no clocks or windows (I think) that they eventually slept much less, around 5 or 6 hours at a stretch, I think. But maybe I'm all mixed up on that. Perhaps a good librarian could look that up for me...I know I access to Google and the databases, but gosh, I just can't muster the energy to find answers now...only to ask questions.

Thanks for reading!

2 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger rebeccapaulhill said...

I love this entry, Joan (except for the part about the bugs...I've got some real issues with that! Like, GET AN EXTERMINATOR! Someone! Anyone!).

Anyway.

I just thought I'd share with you that I was up until 2:45 myself, so it's as though I was still with you in spirit despite the fact that you awoke to find others in my stead. :-)

I'll see you this afternoon!

Read On!

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for the study on sleep and can't find it but am very curious. If you find it, please email it to blogreader@whoever.com. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home